Thursday, October 16, 2014

Concern for the Lost

To all my brethren, and especially to my Calvinist brothers, I must ask: how do we look at people?

Let me explain myself.

When we go to a public place, or anyplace where we do not know many of the people, what thoughts run through our minds? When you see people you don't know, is your first reaction to find their faults? Do you go, "Geez, what slobs!" "Can't that girl wear a longer skirt, for crying out loud?!" "Oh look, I bet that guy's gay! Gross!!!" "Hey bonehead! Can't ...you see that's my parking space!!!!" "Now that guy's definitely a son of the devil, if I've ever seen one. First-class sinner ahead!!!!"

Or for the hyper-Calvinists amongst us (I once was one as well), what are your thoughts? Do you look around and go, "Hmm... I wonder if that man is elect... Or that man... Or that woman..." "Let's see if I can find some lost sheep in this store!!!"

No matter how much we spiritualize it, both of the above lines of thinking lack something: that is a true, godly love for the lost and perishing. How so? Well, with the first, it is obvious. You look at others as the scum on the soles of your feet, merely because you think that your behavior and heart are more perfect than theirs. But with the second, you show that your only care is for those who will be saved, and scratch everyone else. Besides, those who aren't saved are merely goats, unelected vessels being prepared for wrath. So, why should we care? God has predestined for them to burn in hell anyway, right?

Where is our love for the lost?! Where is the heart of God in this?! Does not the Lord feel sorrow over the destruction of the wicked?! Does He take delight in throwing any man or woman into Hell?! Is He indifferent to the plight of unsaved man?!

It is from a dear man of God that I learned probably one of the most valuable lessons in my entire life. He told me, "When you walk into a store, what do you think? Is your first thought, 'man, these people are gross'? If so, the love that the Lord God had for the world, and His desire for their salvation, is not in you.
"When you see others, instead of thinking evil of them, or not caring for them, think of them this way:

"'How many of these souls have not heard the Good News of God's love and salvation? How many of them are hurting, devoid of hope, joy, peace, and love? How many have not heard the Gospel?'"

Men and women of God, if we are not burdened by the lostness of others; if we do not fall on our knees, begging the Lord to have mercy on their souls; if our hearts are not full of, no, if our hearts do not bleed love, compassion, sorrow, and pity for those who do not know the Lord, can we truly claim to know the marvelous love of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment